Hunter Rifle Silhouette
The Hunter Rifle Silhouette Match is a casual and fun shooting activity designed for the informal shooter. It is a great way to meet your fellow club members, engage in friendly competition, mentor a young or new shooter, talk shooting and enjoy the outdoors while giving you a reason to dust off your favorite or neglected hunting or plinking rifle.
Standard Rim Fire Silhouette Targets
- Match Targets and Ranges: 5 Standard Rifle Silhouette Targets are placed at 4 ranges. Rim Fire: Chicks @ 25, Pigs @50, Turkeys @75 and Rams @100 (yards) Center Fire: Chicks @ 50, Pigs @100, Turkeys @150 and Rams @200 (meters)
- Hunter Rifle Silhouette Match: The shooter is allowed one shot at each silhouette target and up to 60 seconds at each range. All ranges except 200 meter are shot OFF HAND. 200 meter targets may be shot off hand, sitting, kneeling or prone. Match score: total silhouettes down. (4 sets of 5 targets, = 20 rounds)
- Prairie Silhouette Match: This is a simulated Prairie Dog shoot, shot while standing, prone or seated at a bench. Shooting sticks, bipod or blocks/bags allowed. The shooter is allowed one shot at 5 silhouette targets at 4 ranges, shooting continuously from nearest to farthest range. Match score: total silhouettes down and total time. (4 sets of 5 targets, = 20 rounds)
- Double Dog Dare Match ( a.k.a. D3): This is an extended simulated Prairie Dog shoot, shot while standing, prone or seated at a bench. Shooting sticks, bipod or blocks/bags allowed. The shooter is allowed one shot at the first set of 5 silhouette targets at 4 ranges, shooting continuously from nearest to farthest range, a required magazine change, then shooting the second set of 5 silhouette targets at 4 ranges returning from farthest to nearest range. Match score: total silhouettes down and total time. (8 sets of 5 targets, = 40 rounds)
Firearms Allowed: Any hunting or plinking rifle excluding magnum calibers, 22 magnums or 17 rim fires. Any action types (bolt, single shot, semi auto, or lever) are allowed. You may compete with either iron sights or scope. Slings are allowed. PLEASE, NO PENETRATING AMMO, due to potential TARGET DAMAGE!
Match Safety: All DBCL Safety Procedures will be in effect.
- All commands and decisions of range officer(s) are final.
- No handling of any uncased firearms while anyone is down range or bell on.
- Guns may only be loaded at firing line, at the command of the range officer(s).
- Magazines may be pre-loaded, but out of firearms until range officer(s) commands.
- Any firearms or ammunition that range officer(s) deems unsafe will be removed from event.
- After shooting, do not leave the line until your gun is certified empty and clear by a range officer.
Range officer commands:
- "Shooter to the line" – Move into position at the shooting station
- "You May Load" – Load your magazine or set up revolver rounds
- "Shooter’s Ready?" – Acknowledge you are ready or request more preparation time
- "Standby" – Raise firearm to shooting position and aim
- "FIRE" – Begin firing
- "CEASE FIRE" – Quit firing and keep muzzle pointed downrange
- "Unload and show clear" – Remove magazine, empty chamber, and lock action open, show clear
- "Rack your Firearm" – Place your unloaded firearm in the RACK, and clear station of ammunition, etc. "Re-Set Targets" – After Range light/bell is on, RO commands "Re-set targets", you may re-set targets